Innovative and Distinctive Programs
Amplifying exceptional talents and ideas
Initiatives in this Pillar
Our innovative programs bring big ideas from the classroom to the real world
Specialized programs give big ideas and exceptional talents a place to develop beyond the classroom. The campaign provides an opportunity to strengthen existing programs and create new ones that elevate URI among global research universities.
The University places a strategic focus on:
- Health and Health Care
- Support groundbreaking research at the George and Anne Ryan Institute for Neuroscience
- Define the Academic Health Collaborative as a unique asset for Rhode Island and communities around the world
- Expand the range of the Mobile Health Unit in providing services to under-served populations
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Expand the Launch Lab as a resource for student innovation
- Strengthen the Office of Undergraduate Research and Innovation to fund student projects
- Give more students study abroad experiences through the International Center (which includes the Office of International Education, Office of International Students and Scholars, National Student Exchange, and International Strategic Partnerships)
- Elevate URI’s highly regarded International Engineering Program (IEP) along with similar programs at the Colleges of Business, Pharmacy, and Arts and Sciences
- Centers and Institutes
- Support the work of the Coastal Resources Center, Social Science Institute for Research, Education and Policy, or the Center for the Humanities
- Establish a new center or institute as a hub for collaboration and focused research by students and faculty.
These visionary efforts will enrich the academic experience, generate transformative research, and enhance our position as an educational leader.
“Today’s international engineering firms appreciate the language immersion and work readiness of students who intern abroad.”
–President David M. Dooley